Rawalpindi: ‘Suspects in 6 Pindi attacks arrested’
RAWALPINDI: Inspector General of Police (IGP), Punjab, Syed Azhar Nadeem said on Monday that police had arrested suspects in six of the eight suicide bomb attacks in Rawalpindi.
Speaking at a press briefing, the IGP said the police had yet to investigate two suicide attacks including February 25 attack in which Lt Gen Mushtaq Ahmad and six others were killed. Nadeem said police had also investigated December 27, 2007 suicide-bomb attack in which Benazir Bhutto was killed. Police had also chalked out a strategy to arrest absconders like Baitullah Mehsood, he said avoiding sharing details of the strategy with reporters. He asked the people to cooperate with police in overcoming acts of terrorism in the city. “People should inform police if they found unattended things, deserted vehicles and suspicious persons around them,” he added.
The IGP said police and other law-enforcement agencies were collectively fighting against terrorism. As far as the intelligence reports were concerned, he said police had been receiving positive response from the intelligence agencies.
“The Punjab government has upgraded the department of police and its other branches to cope with the situation,” the IGP said, adding the police were utilising all available resources to maintain law and order in the city. Nadeem said the police force had been directed to keep a close eye on the anti-social elements to avoid any untoward incident. He urged media men to cooperate with police in war against terrorism.
The IGP did not rule out possibility of foreign hand in the current wave terrorist attacks on law-enforcement agencies. He said organised networks were working behind the increasing activities of terrorists in the country.