Troops attacked in South Waziristan
WANA: The fragile ceasefire between the army and Baitullah Mehsud apparently collapsed on Monday after security forces came under attack in South Waziristan. One soldier was injured.
A spokesman for the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) alleged that the first shot had been fired by troops. “The army attacked the Taliban first and they (militants) returned fire in self-defence,” Maulvi Umar told Dawn on phone.
He said the TTP was still abiding by the ceasefire signed some two months ago. Sources said that a team of the Baloch Regiment was patrolling the Spinkai Raghzai area of South Waziristan when it came under fire. The injured soldier was taken to a military hospital.
Security forces fired back, targeting suspected locations in the area. The sources said that tension had gripped the area after the clash. Peace talks between the government and the militants ended last week after the former reportedly refused to withdraw troops from South Waziristan, Swat and Darra Adamkhel.
The complete article can be found at Dawn News.