Rawalpindi: Suspected suicide bombers’ remand extended
RAWALPINDI: An anti-terrorism court here on Tuesday extended the judicial remand of three suspected suicide bombers for 14 days after the police said they needed more time to complete the investigation.
ATC-I judge Chaudhry Habibur Rehman directed the Civil Lines police to complete the investigation and submit the challan (charge sheet) against the accused – Asad Hussain, Khalid Saifullah and Asif Saleem – on August 12.
Police produced Asad and Saleem in the court and said Khalid was too ill to be produced in the court. The judge directed the police to admit the accused in the jail hospital and produce him before the court on the next hearing.
According to the police, the accused were arrested on May 10 near Ayub Park and suicide vests and other explosives were recovered from their possession.
However, an NGO working for the cause of missing persons and the parents of the accused have been claiming that the three men were arrested from their houses before May 10 and complaints had been lodged with the respective police stations about their disappearances.
Defence of Human Rights had moved an application with the city police officer one-and-a-half months ago, saying Asad Husain, 23, was abducted from his house in G-74 on the night of March 11.
They said the father of Asad had also reported the matter to the Aabpara police and filed a complaint about the alleged abduction. They said the arrested man was a student of Bachelor of Science in telecommunication and taught in a private school. They said the two other men were also arrested from their houses.