Swat clashes leave 8 militants dead
MINGORA: Clashes between security forces and militants on Saturday killed nine including eight militants in Swat, officials said. Security officials said the militants attacked security forces while they were conducting search operation in the Kanjoo, Dherai, Imam Dheri and Kooza Bandai areas. The troops retaliated, killing eight militants in the clashes, the officials added.
Arrests: Security forces also arrested eight militants in the fighting that followed a search operation in the Kabal area, one of the militant strongholds in the region, 27 km east of Swat’s main town of Mingora, Reuters reported. “We have killed nine militants and the operation is still continuing,” an army official told Reuters while speaking on the condition of anonymity.
Nearly 160 people have been killed in the renewed fighting in Swat, which erupted into violence in November last year when militants led by a Mullah Fazlullah launched a campaign to enforce Taliban-style rule.
Renewed clashes broke out in late July when militants killed three intelligence officials and captured up to 30 police and paramilitary troops in an attack on a military checkpoint.
There were reports that several civilians were injured as mortar shells hit houses in different areas. During mortar shelling in Deo Lai, Gull Jaba and Hazaron, six people including two women were seriously injured, Online news agency reported.
Meanwhile, two civilians were killed when a mortar shell hit a house in the Kala Kalay area of Kabal. According to Online, a shell fell near a home in Deo Kand killing a man and injuring another.
Schools: In separate incidents, militants set fire to four girls’ schools in the Lalko, Sakhara and Garhi areas of Matta late on Friday night. A link bridge in Basharray and a chairlift in Kholija were also damaged in attacks, Online reported.