Peshawar: NAB recovers money from Haj operators
PESHAWAR: An amount of Rs2 million recovered by the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) from private Haj operators identified as World Travels/Haj Harmain Travel, Islamabad, would be disbursed among the affected members of the Peshawar University Teacher Association (PUTA) once the cheque is handed over to the body.
The Haj tour operators had gobbled up some Rs4.2 million from 65 intending pilgrims, all hailing from Peshawar University Teachers Association (PUTA). Some 25 of them had managed to get their money back, while the remaining 40 were still waiting for their money. To get the money back, the PUTA approached the NAB, which after hectic efforts managed to recover Rs2 million of the total Rs4.2 million.
“The settlement has been made in the court. The operators have given Rs2 million as first instalment and they would pay the remaining amount as well within due course of time,” said PUTA President Dr Arbab Afridi. He said the private tour operators had fleeced the teachers and employees who intended to perform Haj through their agencies and the NAB recovered the embezzled amount and arrested the accused, Nasrullah.
The PUTA chief said a meeting of the affected teachers was held at PUTA Hall on the premises of the University of Peshawar, wherein a strategy was formulated for the disbursement of the recovered amount. He said the PUTA had already paid a major share of the embezzled amount to the affected teachers from its own account, therefore, 75 per cent of the amount would be received by the PUTA, while the remaining 25 per cent would go to NAB. Afridi also lauded the performance of the NAB, saying it was purely because of the efforts of the bureau that the poor employees’ money was recovered.