Lahore: 3 dozens more suspects arrested
LAHORE: Over three dozens suspects reportedly members of banned Islamic militant groups have been arrested in the provincial capital on Monday. The raids for the arrest of the suspects were conducted as a part of ongoing crackdown launched on the directives of the federal government, The Nation has learnt. A senior police officer said the arrested people would be detained at undisclosed places for 30 days at least under three MPOs. It has also been learnt the federal government has provided the city police a new and updated list of the members of the banned organisations suspecting their involvement in the recent suicide attack in Islamabad at Marriott Hotel.
Sources in the police department disclosed the primary target of the raids conducted so far were the suspects mentioned in the list. The police have also been conducting raids against the activists of the banned organisations found involved in different subversive activities in the city including a suicide blast at the FIA head office in Lahore.
The banned organizations, target of the ongoing crackdown, includes Sipah–e–Sahaba, Sipah–e–Muhammad, Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, Harkat-ul-Ansar and Harkat–ul–Mujahideen.
SSP Operations Police Chaudhry Shafiq told The Nation that these arrests were made in connection with the recent Islamabad suicide attack. He confirmed that over three dozens suspects had been taken into custody in the city. Major focus of the police teams were the rented houses and hotels, restaurants and guesthouses.
Different wings of the Lahore police including the operations, investigation and CIA have been separately conducting the raids. The police teams raided mosques, hotels, restaurants, guesthouses, rented houses, offices and residences of the members of the banned organisations and arrested around the suspects. Heads of the police wings have been closely supervising the crackdown continued for the last two days.
A source in the police department disclosed the number of the suspects arrested on Monday were two times higher, though many of them have been released during preliminary interrogation.
Seeking anonymity a senior police officer revealed the police were given lists of banned Islamic organisations and addresses of some of the active members of these groups. He said some of the suspects were taken into custody from the rented houses and many from the mosques.
To a query, he said the police were tipped off that some militants were using the residences of their close relatives and rented houses as their hideouts.