Islamabad: 4 held in connection with Marriott blast
ISLAMABAD: Pakistani police have arrested four suspects in connection with a suicide truck bomb attack on the Marriott hotel in Islamabad last month and produced them in an anti-terrorism court on Friday, an official said. Almost 60 people were killed when a truck loaded with explosives blew up outside the hotel in the heart of the capital on Sept. 20. Police said earlier the four men had been arrested at different times in different places. `The court has given us a seven-day remand for these men and we will continue our investigation, `said senior police official Altaf Ali Khattak.
Khattak said the four men, one of them a doctor and another lawyer, were being held under various sections of the penal code and the anti-terror act. They have yet to be formally charged.
He requested the court to grant extension in the physical remand of the accused persons saying the detainees belonged to organized suicide attackers group which was operating at an international level.
Networks of the accused have been extended to NWFP and Punjab province.
The suspects were brought to court in the city of Rawalpindi, adjacent to Islamabad, under tight security. They were handcuffed and chained to policemen and their faces were covered with hoods.