Karachi: SHC directs secretary to file affidavit in missing Baloch leader’s case
KARACHI: According to the Dawn News on Thursday, the Sindh High Court on Wednesday directed the defence secretary to swear his personal affidavit to the effect that Abdul Ghaffar Langho, a Baloch leader, was not in the custody of any intelligence agency under the administrative control of the defence ministry.
A division bench, headed by Justice Amir Hani Muslim, was seized with the hearing of a constitutional petition seeking the whereabouts of a missing leader, Abdul Ghaffar Langho.
On Wednesday, the federal interior secretary appeared in court and swore an affidavit stating that the Baloch leader was not in the custody of the investigation agencies under the administrative control of the interior ministry.
The defence secretary, who was earlier ordered to file his a personal affidavit, however, did not comply with the court’s order as a director (legal) filed comments and his affidavit.
The court in its order said: “We have not directed the director (legal) to file affidavit. We want the Secretary Defence to swear the affidavit, which should be done by the next day, failing which he shall be in attendance on the next date with explanation”.
Earlier, the director of the Intelligence Bureau, Islamabad, had also filed a statement that the missing leader was not in their custody.
Petitioner Niaz Muhammed Langho impleaded the interior secretary, the director-general of the Inter Services Intelligence, the DG of the Military Intelligence, the Sindh home secretary, the provincial police officer and the station house officer of the Garden police station as respondents in the disappearance case of his brother.
The petitioner submitted that his brother, a permanent resident of Balochistan, had come to Karachi on Dec 9, 2009 in connection with medical treatment of his wife, Zarina, who was admitted to the Institute of Surgery and Medicine on Garden Road.
He said his brother was picked up by personnel of an intelligence agency on Dec 12, 2009 at around 3pm when he came out of the hospital to buy medicines for his wife.
The petitioner stated that the ailing woman also came out of the hospital when her husband did not return.
He said that Zarina was told by a vendor outside the hospital that her husband had been taken away by occupants of two Vego wagons who appeared to be personnel of some government agency.
The petitioner said he approached the area police station to lodge a complaint regarding the kidnap of his brother, but was refused.
He said the police asked him to approach higher federal and provincial authorities to ascertain his brother’s whereabouts.