1216 kids molested, raped in 6 months
LAHORE: As reported by The Nation on Friday, a total number of 1,216 children were sexually abused across the country during the first six months of the current year.
Not less than 125 boys and girls were sexually abused after abduction. “A total of 55 cases are those in which both girls and boys are murdered after sexual assault,” revealed the six-month report of a local NGO Sahil, issued here on Thursday.
This shows a considerable increase in the cases as compared to last year’s statistics of six months, which were recorded 968 cases.
According to the report, the cases of 18 years and below of boys and girls have been registered to compile into a report called “Cruel Numbers”.
According to the report, the data of the six months from January to June of 2010 reveals that the incidence of child sexual abuse in Pakistan is approximately 6 children a day.
A break up analysis of gender continues to show that female reported cases of child sexual abuse are more in number than male cases.
“Out of the total 1,216 cases in 6 months, 331 boys whereas 885 girls were sexually abused with 28 per cent boys and 72 per cent girls. This shows that one third of girls have been sexually abused as compared to boys,” the report maintained.
The six months data also show that children have been sexually abused in different crime categories, with the highest number of cases recorded in the category of abduction for sexual purposes for girls, whereas boys were mainly abused in the crime category of sodomy, followed by gang sodomy, abduction of sexual purposes, attempt of sodomy etc.
However, after abduction for sexual purposes the girls were mainly abused in the crime category of rape, gang rape, attempt of rape etc.
A wide range of abusers, have been reported to victimise children. According to the statistics a total of 2,425 abusers have sexually assaulted 1,216 children.
As many as 81 per cent abusers were acquaintances, that is, people who are known to the victim or his family, whereas the rest of 19 per cent were strangers.
Among strangers only 0.6 per cent, that is 16 abusers, were identified as robbers and dacoits. The rest were only mentioned as strangers.
Among acquaintances, the description of 67 per cent abusers was not specified, that is, it was only mentioned that they were known to the victim and his/her family.
However, a total of 14 per cent were specified as neighbours, relatives, immediate family members, teachers, police, religious people etc.
Among these another 2.2 per cent were relatives and 0.5 per cent were identified as immediate family members. Acquaintances also include three per cent (79) female abettors, that is, females who are accompanied with the abusers in committing the crime. These females are usually involved in the kidnapping of a child for sexual purposes.
The report further indicated that 11-15 years continued to be the age group with highest number of cases that is, 283 recorded. This shows that this age group is most vulnerable to sexual abuse for both boys and girls.