Quetta: Balochistan CM escapes suicide attack
QUETTA: Balochistan Chief Minister Nawab Aslam Raisani escaped a suicide attack on his convoy here on Tuesday that left five security personnel and five other people injured.
“It was an attempt on the life of the chief minister, but he and other officials remained unhurt,” provincial police chief Malik Iqbal said, adding that five personnel of the chief minister’s security squad were among the injured.
A spokesman for the banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan claimed responsibility for the attack. Earlier, the Lashkar-e-Jhangvi Al Almi had claimed to have carried out the attack, but Ali Sher Haideri, a spokesman for the Lashkar-e-Jhangvi denied involvement of his group.
A spokesman for the Baloch Liberation United Front (BLUF), Shaiq Baloch, also called reporters to claim responsibility and said the bomb had been detonated by remote control.
The chief minister, along with his staff, was going to his office from his Sarawan House residence when a young man blew himself up near his security convoy at the Sariab railway crossing at about 11.15am.
“The back screen of the bullet-proof vehicle was broken in the powerful blast,” Quetta Commissioner Nasim Lahri told Dawn.