Police round up 2 for questioning over Sibi bus attack
QUETTA: Police have rounded up two suspects for interrogation and also detained the driver and cleaner who fled the scene soon after the bus burning incident in Sibi, which left 15 people killed. Senior investigating officer had ruled out the possibility of involvement of Baloch groups in the incident.
Of the 15 people killed in the passenger coach attack 13 were identified and their bodies had been dispatched to their respective towns for burial. Sibi District Police Officer (DPO), Fareed Ali Shah, said that the police would soon nab the real culprits involved in the incident.
All the bodies were charred beyond recognition, officials told newsmen. However, the identity of 13 was established through their belongings. There were six children and three women among the dead who were sleeping inside the bus when three armed men approached the restaurant where the bus had been parked and sprinkled petrol on the coach, and set it on fire. Bodies of the woman and the children were buried in Sibi as their identity could not be ascertained.
Five of the dead belonged to a family from Thal township of Jacobabad. Those killed were identified as Nazir Ahmed, Abdul Saeed, Bashir Ahmed, Nur Zaidi Kunji, Din Muhammad, Duran Khan and Imran Khan, Yuj Mal, Varsha and Kapil. Their bodies were dispatched to Tangwani area of Dera Bugti district, Sukkar, Ghotki and Khuzdar districts.
Sibi deputy commissioner has announced Rs 10,000 aid for the families of each killed. The coach had capacity of 60 passengers and most of them were taking their meals at the restaurant. Thus many escaped unhurt, eyewitness accounts said. The DPO was sure that insurgent groups were not involved in this incident. “Soon the culprits will be brought to book,” he told newsmen. He said that action would also be taken against the police personnel found negligent.
Transporters blocked the National Highway on Tuesday near Sibi to protest the brutal incident. Drivers and cleaners staged a demonstration on the highway, disrupting traffic between Sindh and Balochistan. The traffic came to a complete halt for more than 12 hours.
The protesting transporters raised slogans against the law enforcement agencies and demanded action against the police personnel deputed at the nearby checkpost at the time of the attack. Bus Owners Association President Bahar Khan said that police had failed to ensure life and property of the people travelling through highways.