Islamabad: Secret commission report finds police, FC guilty of murder
ISLAMABAD: The commission which probed the killing of five Chechens, including three women, has recommended the registration of criminal cases against the concerned FC and police officials, their immediate arrest and court trial.
A credible Balochistan government source revealed that the Kharotabad Commission report, which is not being made public, has concluded that the charges of killing five unarmed foreigners have been proved against the Quetta Police and FC and those responsible should be arrested and tried for criminal offences.
Balochistan Chief Minister Nawab Raisani refused to divulge details of the report on Wednesday and when he was repeatedly confronted by the media in Quetta, he repeated his simple reply: “We have received the report.”
The source did not share details of the report because of the provincial government’s decision to keep it strictly confidential and beyond the reach of the media but confirmed that the action of the police and FC was illegal.
On Tuesday, the Balochistan government announced not to make the report public. The 100-page report, prepared by Balochistan High Court Judge Justice Muhammad Hashim Khan, was recently presented to the provincial home department.
While the masses have been keenly awaiting the outcome of the report, the Balochistan government decided to keep it secret and confidential, apparently apprehending that the media may give it a “wrong colour”.
An unnamed Balochistan government official is reported to have told media persons on Tuesday: “We have solid information that the foreigners had a dangerous agenda which they intended to follow in the province. They did not even carry Pakistani visas. So, what were they doing in Balochistan? Were they not aware of the security situation in Pakistan?”
As already reported by The News, the fact-finding mission of the National Assembly’s parliamentary committee on Human Rights, in its probe on the Kharotabad incident, has already found the Quetta Police and FC responsible for the killing of five Chechens.
The NA mission too did not find much weight in the authorities’ claim as all its conclusions go against the police and FC and prove nothing against those killed in a callous manner.
According to the mission’s findings, the material recovered from the bodies of deceased contained no explosive material; the post-mortem report had dismissed the police claims that the five people had been killed in a bomb explosion; when searched at the first check-post they were found carrying two bottles of shampoo but later the police claimed that they had hand grenades in their possession; the cab-driver totally negated the theory of any explosive material in their hands; the report submitted by the bomb disposal squad said that no suicide jackets or explosives had been recovered from the site where the five Chechens had been shot fortify the statement of the doctor and driver that there was no explosive material in their possession.
The mission members found the IGP Balochistan unimpressive and contradictory. The IGP, Amin Hashim, told the mission that suspects were highly motivated and trained, and were equipped with explosive material. However, in fact, they neither opened fire nor hurled any grenade on police and the FC.
The mission was told by the IGFC Maj Gen Obaidullah Khattak that the FC personnel at the check-post saw suspects crossing the police while being chased by police officials. The mission was told that the FC personnel, after hearing police officials shouting terrorist, warned the suspects to stop to prevent them from crossing the FC check-post. However, they continued advancing towards the check-post and as they crossed the barbed wire, the FC personnel opened fire.