Sri Lankan team attack Another three accused set on bail
LAHORE: An anti-terrorism court on Friday granted bail to three accused involved in attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team at Liberty Chowk in 2009. Javed Anwar, Obaidur Rehman and Ibadullah were directed to furnish bail bonds of Rs100,000 each.
The accused through their counsel pleaded that they were nominated in the case after a delay of two years. The counsel said the police had failed to produce any criminal record and cogent evidence against the accused.
He argued that the accused were already in the police custody and after the Liberty Chowk incident, they were presented before the police personnel who survived the attack for identification parade. He said on identification the accused were charged.
The counsel argued that alleged mastermind Malik Muhammad Ishaq had also been granted bail by the Supreme Court, therefore, the accused were entitled to the same right.
ATC Judge Tahir Pervez admitted the arguments of the counsel and granted bail to the accused subject to furnishing of bail bonds. Besides Malik Muhammad Ishaq of Lashkar-i-Jhangvi, two more accused — Ashfaq and Mohsin – had been released on bail.
On March 3, 2009, a bus carrying Sri Lankan team members was attacked with sophisticated weapons, rockets and hand grenades at Liberty Chowk. All the attackers escaped. The police later carried out a search operation and arrested the suspects in Shahdara.