Lahore: Plea for murder case against ex-CS dismissed
LAHORE: A two-member bench of the Supreme Court at Lahore registry on Thursday dismissed a petition filed by Azam Ikram, son of a deceased retired army colonel, who had sought registration of a murder case against former Punjab Chief Secretary Javed Mehmood.
On Thursday, the SHO of Sarwar Road Police Station appeared before the court and submitted that that challan had been submitted in the trial court and the trial would commence from July 23.
At this, bench comprising Justice Jawwad S Khwaja and Justice Asif Saeed Khan Khosa dismissed the petition. The court, however, sought an explanatory report from the Lahore sessions judge to apprise the court that why the trial had been delayed for one and a half years.
The court directed the sessions judge to submit report in the registrar’s office. The petitioner had submitted that his father, Muhammad Ikram, was knocked down by an official vehicle, driven by driver of the former chief secretary, who was also sitting in the car at that time.
He contended that after hitting his father at the Sarwar Road, Cantt, the vehicle of the former CS escaped from the scene leaving his injured father on the road.
He said his father might have been saved had the chief secretary and his driver taken him to hospital which they had not done.
The petitioner said the police had not registered an FIR against the former chief secretary but only booked his driver Ghulam Murtaza in the case.
The Lahore High Court had earlier dismissed the petition in which Azam had pleaded for naming Javed Mehmood also as accused in the FIR.