Karachi: 24 suspects held as security stepped up
Karachi: Hundreds of extra paramilitary troops have been deployed in the city which is struggling to end violence that has killed 58 people in five days. Authorities are battling to halt gunfights raging across the key port city where political, ethnic and criminal rivalries left over 330 people dead last month.
The provincial government is offering Rs10 to citizens who provide information leading to arrests of those responsible for the violence, at its worst since 1995.
Local government official Sharfuddin Memon said the extra paramilitary soldiers and policemen entered the city’s troubled western neighbourhoods on Tuesday night.
“Some suspects have been detained,” after conducting house to house searches, he added. The death toll on Wednesday reached 58, after 35 people were killed in the space of 24 hours. Wajid Durrani, police chief of Sindh, said police had made 24 arrests and some officials said calm had been restored.
Government officials and coalition party members have distributed stickers, pamphlets and placards pleading for peace, but to little effect.