Lower Dir blast toll climbs to 45
PESHAWAR: Death toll in Thursday’s suicide blast at a funeral in Lower Dir district climbed to 45 on Friday. A suicide bomber had attacked the funeral of Bakht Sultan, nephew of the slain Afghan mujahideen commander Malik Muhammad Zarin, in Sadbar Killay, killing 27 and wounding over 100.
The death toll rose to 45 on Friday as some of the wounded succumbed to injuries and bodies were retrieved to make it one of the deadliest attacks in the district. District Police Officer Lower Dir, Salim Marwat, told reporters that 29 suspected persons had been arrested.
A search operation was conducted in Toor Qila, inhabited by Afghan refugees, where some arrests were made. Locals said some 24 persons were laid to rest in various villages. The entire Lower Dir district, particularly Sadbar Killay, was gripped by sorrow caused by the incident and due to fear of more attacks.
An official at the District Headquarters Hospital in Timergara told†The News†that seven bodies had been brought to the hospital while one of the 72 injured succumbed to injuries at the hospital.
He said 30 injured were still being treated at the hospital, 14 were referred to hospitals in Peshawar and the rest were discharged. He said most of the victims suffered burn injuries.