Karachi: SHC orders production of Afaq in kidnapping case
Karachi: The Sindh High Court on Friday issued a production order for detained Mohajir Quami Movement (Haqiqi) Chairman Afaq Ahmed in a kidnapping and torture case. MQM-H Chairman filed a bail application through human rights activist Syed Iqbal Kazmi, seeking bail in a fresh case that was lodged against him at the Landhi police station.
The petition stated that Ahmed had been incarcerated since April 4, 2004 and was implicated in more than a dozen cases due to political motives aimed at ousting him from politics. The Petitioner’s counsel submitted that Ahmed was acquitted or released on bail in all cases in September, but the provincial government, instead of releasing him, issued detention orders under the Maintenance of Public Order.
Kazmi said that during the pendency of the petition against Afaq’s detention, the provincial law officer informed the court that the kidnapping for ransom case, pending since 2001, was restored by an anti-terrorism court. He added that one of the coalition partners in the provincial government, just to keep its rival behind bars, fabricated another case against Afaq Ahmed.
The detainee has been accused of kidnapping and torturing a Karachi Water and Sewerage Board employee on October 7, 2011. The counsel contended that it was not enough to book a person based on the statement of a co-accused in the case.
He said the life of the petitioner was in danger as a suspected target killer, arrested by law enforcement agencies, disclosed before a joint investigation team that they wanted to kill Afaq soon after his release from the prison in April 2010. He prayed that the court order the production of the applicant for the hearing of his case and grant bail as the case was filed based on political motives.
The SHC, after a preliminary hearing of the application, issued a notice to the Prosecutor General Sindh for November 11 and ordered the production of the applicant on the next date of hearing.