Hafizabad: Billionaire released for Rs2.5m ransom
HAFIZABAD: Haji Nazir Malik, a billionaire and philanthropist of Jalalpur Bhattian who was kidnapped on January 25, has been released on Wednesday after paying Rs2.5 million ransom. It has not been confirmed by the police authorities whether he was released after paying ransom. However, sources said that the abductee had been released safely after payment ransom February 8 and admitted in Doctors’ Hospital Lahore.
There are rumours that the kidnappers had initially demanded Rs100 million for his release. After strenuous efforts, bargain between the mediators and kidnappers was at last settled at Rs2.5 million. The local businessmen have demanded the disclosure of the facts behind his abduction and release and who were responsible for his abduction and why they were not arrested. The Gujranwala RPO and the DPO should disclose the real facts to prevent sense of insecurity and harassment among the people, they said.
They were of the view that if the accused involved in the kidnapping were not arrested, more such incidents would occur in the future. About a month back, a teenaged son of a rice miller of Sukheke Mandi was also got released from the custody of abductors from Peshawar area after payment of huge amount as ransom and in that case too, the accused were not arrested.
However, no police officer in the district has so far confirmed, nor denied the payment of ransom for their release.