Lahore: Threats to businessman: Ex-employee taken into custody
LAHORE: The Crimes Investigation Agency police claim to have arrested an 18–year–old boy for making threatening calls and demanding Rs30 million ransom from an industrialist.
Chuhng resident Muhammad Khalid, who owns Hammad Industries, received telephonic threats of kidnap of his son from an unknown number.
The caller, who identified himself as Anwer Shah, said he was calling from Waziristan and knew all about his business and family. “You have a lot of money as your business is growing fast. You don`t know me and I will see you,” the police quoted him as saying to Khalid.
He again phoned Khalid twice on Feb 11 and demanded Rs30m for his son`s life. “We shall tell you in a couple of days who we are. You will be responsible for your son`s life.”
Khalid alerted the police and got registered a case under 25–D Telegraph Act with the Chuhng police on Feb 11. The suspect`s SIM was found switched off after three calls.
CIA SP Liaquat Ali Malik constituted a special police team which collected call data of the suspect. The police team led by Inspector Imran Yasin conducted raids in Haroonabad and Bahawalnagar and arrested Zaeem Zahid, son of Zahid Hussain, and confiscated his cell phone and SIM.
Zaeem, who had been an employee of Khalid for two and half months, confessed to committing the offence for getting money. He told the police that he had done so inspired by some movies.
He earlier claimed that he tried to get money because his sisters were unmarried and he was only getting Rs7,000 salary. However, his father Zahid Hussain told the police that he was able to meet domestic needs.
Khalid handed over Rs250,000 to the CCPO for distribution among the policemen as cash reward.