Lahore: Drugs tribunal records statements in PIC deaths case
LAHORE: The Defective Drugs Inquiry Tribunal of the Lahore High Court on Monday recorded the statements of Dr Zahid Pervaiz, former director general, Health, presently working as medical superintendent of Mayo Hospital and Sh Akhtar Hussain, deputy director general, Cabinet Division.
Both government functionaries also answered queries put by the tribunal comprising Justice Ijaz–ul–Ahsan of the Lahore High Court. They also submitted relevant records to the tribunal.
The tribunal is probing the matter to ascertain causes of deaths of patients of the Punjab Institute of Cardiology and fix responsibility at each stage and to make recommendations to prevent such incidents in the future. Notices have now been issued to the chief executive of Mega Pharmaceuticals, Federal Area Inspector of Drugs and advocate M A Anjum to appear before the tribunal on April 10 (today).
Reply sought on contempt plea: The Lahore High Court on Monday sought reply from the Punjab Health Department on a contempt of court petition of Dr Haroon A.K Babar challenging his removal as Associate Professor at Multan Institute of Cardiology.
Petitioner through his counsel submitted that he was appointed at the Multan institute of Cardiology by previous Punjab government on contract basis. He said later the new government led by PML-N removed him from service on political consideration. He challenged the act and the LHC had on February 2011 ordered his reinstatement. The government restored him but did not extend his contract, petitioner said.
Dr Babar later filed a contempt petition, saying the government by not extending his service contract committed contempt of court. Petitioner pointed out that he had been working as chief consultant cardiologist at King Abdul Aziz Specialist Hospital Saudi Arabia but he came to Pakistan to serve the country. In the court on Monday, Petitioner stated that there was no cardiologist in the country having credentials like him but the government was treating him with discrimination.
The court sought reply from the government and adjourned hearing till May 16. Meanwhile, the court also sought reply from the health department on a petition of Dr Tariq Nasim and Dr Sajid Ubaidullah. They submitted that they were appointed as professors through the Punjab Public Service Commission. Petitioners said they were on the top out of total four selected professors but the government posted them at D.I Khan and Bahawalpur respectively.
However, the succeeded candidate who stood on No 4 was given posting in Lahore, they said. On previous hearing, the government had informed the court that all four professors were posted outside Lahore, however, petitioner’s counsel on Monday presented a latest seniority list of the government, showing t professor on No 4 was still working in a hospital of Lahore.
Upon this, the court expressed concern and sought an explanation from the department by April 24. Ombudsman seeks report: The Provincial Ombudsman on Monday ordered an inquiry and sought report from the SP Cantt and officials of Anti Corruption over illegal occupation of land in Harbunspura by the Revenue Department and Patwari concerned. Local residents of Khursheed Town area, including Anwar Ali and others, in an application to the Provincial Ombudsman alleged that officials of the Revenue Department and Patwari concerned had occupied their plots where they had been living for the past 18 years. They claimed that the court had granted them stay order even then the accused had captured their land and were hurling life threats to them.