Karachi: Man dies after swallowing 101 heroin capsules
KARACHI: The Saddar police on Friday recovered 101 capsules of heroin from the stomach of a man who was abandoned inside the emergency ward of JPMC. The man, Shahbaz, was unconscious when he was brought to the JPMC at 11:30pm, SI Zahoor Bhatti told The News. “Shahbaz expired before the hospital staff could admit him into the operation theater. When staff went to tell Shahbaz’s attendants of his death, they were nowhere to be seen.”
SI Bhatti had a postmortem carried out on the body, during which medical staff found 101 capsules of heroin in his stomach, which they handed over to the police. Police suspect that Shahbaz was attempting to smuggle the heroin upcountry, but had overdosed on the heroin pills.
Shahbaz’ body was sent to the Edhi morgue in Sohrab Goth after completion of legal formalities. Later, Shahbaz’s family, who reside in Lahore, contacted the police and informed them that Shahbaz had reached Karachi just two days ago. “They said that Shahbaz had a chair-making business in Lahore and that he had come to Karachi to purchase supplies,” SI Bhatti said.