Lahore: Ex-commissioner’s son gets pre-arrest bail in murder case
LAHORE: Murder accused Shan Khusro, son of former Lahore Commissioner Khusro Pervez Bukhtiar, got pre–arrest bail on Monday as Lahore Police failed to arrest him even after the lapse of two days. The first hearing of the interim bail is on June 11, 2012. Shan Khusro, a student of A-Levels, at Lahore Grammar School (LGS), Johar Town branch, was nominated in the FIR registered on the complaint of victim Hamza’s father Fazal Elahi, the president of Shahalam Market Board. Victim Hamza, who was class-fellow of accused person, was found dead from a roadside in the Phase-6 of DHA on Saturday afternoon, an hour after he left his house with the accused. On the other hand, the investigators remained busy on Monday in collecting forensic and circumstantial evidence with no solid clue so far. Police have also yet to adopt procedure for putting the name of the high-profile accused person on the ECL (Exit Control List), which could further facilitate the accused man to flee from the country.
A family member of victim Hamza, requesting anonymity, said that three close friends of Hamza, including the nominated accused, had not appeared after the murder of Hamza. The other two friends-cum-class fellows were identified as Daniyal Safdar Waraich, son of a deputy secretary, and Talha, son of an income tax commissioner. However, police will interrogate Shan Khusro initially as the complainant has nominated him only. The victim’s father Fazal Elahi said that former Commissioner Khusro Pervez had visited his house on Sunday to offer prayers and he promised to present his son before police on Monday but he had not fulfilled his promise. He added that if his son was innocent why he was not appearing before police. Fazal Elahi also said that his son always avoided going out with Shan due to his suspected activities but his father (Khusro Pervez) had requested him (Fazal) that his son might help Shan in studies. He also said that Hamza was studious and he had won scholarships in big universities of four different countries for further studies.
It is also learnt that Khurso Pervez has contacted some close associates of trader Fazal Elahi and requested him to discuss the issue out of the police station. However, the victim’s family has insisted that Khusro should present his son first so that motive behind the killing could be known.
A senior police officer, privy to the investigations, told The News that they had taken call record of Hamza’s phone which showed that the victim had contacted a girl for many times in two hours, from 2pm to 4pm, on Saturday. He added that the girl was a cousin of Hamza. Hamza told the girl on phone that he was out with friends for shooting and he would be calling her later. He believed that the circumstantial evidence suggested that there were 70 per cent chances that the incident was accidental while there were 30 per cent chances of murder. He said that at the time fire was triggered, Hamza was driving as well as talking on phone. He substantiating his claim said that if the murder would have been planned, the killer(s) should have disposed of the body properly. He said that it seemed that the guys went scared after the incident and fled the scene by throwing body on road in the broad daylight. Another investigator said that the call record of Hamza’s cell phone showed that Hamza had contacted Shan at 1:35 pm on Saturday.
He added that it was a sensitive and high-profile case and they would deal it on merit without succumbing to any pressure. He also said that he had discussed the matter with his seniors for putting the name of the accused person on ECL. He also said that if the accused’s family would facilitate him to flee from the country then it would further weaken their position. To a question, he said that 30–bore pistol was used in the incident and they had found a single empty shell of a bullet. About the forensic report of fingerprints and other evidence, the officer said that they had not received forensic report yet.
Meanwhile, Investigations SSP Abdul Razzaq Cheema visited the victim’s house and discussed the incident with Fazal Elahi and other family members. He also inspected the car of victim Hamza thoroughly and recovered two bottles of petrol which were placed under the front chair of the vehicle. Police will also received CCTV footage of cameras installed at PSO Petrol Pump situated on Jail Road adjacent to Services Hospital as the victim used to get fuel tank filled from there. SSP Cheema on the occasion said that the accused person would be included in the interrogations and all investigations would be held on merit. Moreover, the traders of Shahalam Market kept all markets/shops closed on Monday and protested against the killing of Hamza. They chanted slogans against police and demanded immediate arrest of the accused. However, they dispersed on the assurance of senior police officers for justice.