Peshawar: NAB nabs swindler for robbing man of Rs 0.6m
PESHAWAR: A local judicial magistrate on Tuesday granted bail to three Pakistani staffers of the US Consulate, including two drivers and a security guard charged with transportation of unlicensed automatic weapons in two diplomatic vehicles. He, however, linked their release with the furnishing of two sureties of Rs100,000 each. The two, driver Ahsanullah and guard Manzoor Ellahi, were freed but driver Asif Khan was sent to jail as his surety bonds were rejected as the national identity card of one of his two guarantors was expired.
A day ago, police stopped two diplomatic vehicles boarded by the three suspects along with three foreign staffers of the US Consulate near a toll plaza on Peshawar–Islamabad Motorway.
Police objected to the presence of unlicensed arms in the vehicles.
Later, an FIR was registered at the Chamkani police station under Section 13 of the Arms Ordinance 1965.
Police claimed to have recovered four pistols of nine MM along with 29 loaded magazines, and four semi–machineguns with 36 loaded magazines.
Drivers Asif Khan and Ahsanullah, and guard Manzoor Ellahi were released on personal bond on Monday night and were produced before the court on Tuesday.
Ajmal Khan, lawyer for the three, told the magistrate that their clients had nothing to do with the presence of weapons on Islamabad: The National Accountability Bureau (NAB) has arrested a person namely Muhammad Yousaf, who introduced himself as the driver of another person, Usman (an ISI officer as reported by the victim).
The main accused (Usman), in connivance with Yousaf, looted Rs 0.6 million from a candidate from Karachi who applied for the post of assistant director (BS-17) in NAB. The accused lured the victim for appointment in NAB as assistant director in exchange of Rs 0.6 million. Based on the complaint by the victim, NAB’s intelligence team took swift action and arrested Muhammad Yousaf from Blue Area of the federal capital while the main accused is at large.
It is worth mentioning that NAB had advertised various posts for the recruitment of 317 officers in November last year. The recruitment process is underway. NAB has transparently short listed candidates as per the advertised criteria. More than 100,000 applications were received in NAB and were scrutinised by its Human Resource Department’s vehicles. He said the offence was billable and the applicants were entitled to be freed on bail.
The three foreigners, who were also present on the vehicles, were stated to be US nationals. They were vice consular Stacey Leon Carter, administration technical personnel Timothy Daniel and another official Vincent Capodicci, who claimed to have gone to the University of Malakand for a meeting.