Karachi: 2 suspects’ remand extended in toxic liquor deaths case
KARACHI: A court on Thursday extended the remand of two men facing charges of selling toxic liquor that killed 14 people during Eid holidays in Azam Basti and other areas of the city. Judicial Magistrate (South) Mumtaz Solangi allowed the investigation officer (IO) to question the suspects, Jameel and Babar, at the Mehmoodabad police station till August 19.
The accused were brought to the court amid heavy security. The IO told the judge that the police were trying to arrest two absconding accused, Dilbar Hussain alias Dilawar and Nasir Abbas Boss.
He submitted the charge sheet that said the wine shop from which the adulterated moonshine had been bought was owned by Muhammad Younus. In his statement, the owner said his shop was registered and licensed.
The accused, Jameel, Babar, Dilbar alias Dilawar and Nasir Abbas Boss, worked at the shop. The court heard that the families of three deceased, Asif, Siddiq and Johnson, had lodged murder cases against Jameel and Babar under sections 302, 322 and 337 of the Pakistan Penal Code read with Section 3/2 of the Prohibition Act.
The court directed the IO to arrest the absconding accused and produce them at the next hearing.
Nine people died at hospital on Sunday after consuming adulterated moonshine in Azam Basti and other areas. Another five, including two sub–inspectors, died on Monday.
The victims were aged between 25 and 35 years, and they belonged to Muslim, Hindu and Christian communities.
Last year 18 people had died and over two dozen had fallen unconscious after consuming spurious liquor.